Top 5 States leading the Solar IndustryFebruary 21, 2018
5 Best Practices for Commercial Solar ProjectsFebruary 28, 2018
Growing Your Solar Sales Through the Roof
As a company that provides a solution to solar companies, Scoop Solar’s success is directly tied to the success and growth of our clients. So we decided to dedicate this article to how best help our current and future clients ramp up their business through industry-leading sales and marketing efforts.
Know Your Customer and Your Industry!
The number one question you need to ask yourself is “Who is my ideal customer?”: the answer to this question is what will determine your sales and marketing strategy. It is also recommended that you revisit (if not, challenge) this question every year or so to ensure that your business model is still aligned with your key customers and market segment.
Equally important is to ensure that EVERYONE in, and outside, your organization is on the same page when it comes to knowing who is your core customer.
Some key questions to ask in determining your “ideal” customer may include:
For example, at Scoop, our ideal clients are forward thinking solar service providers located in North America, who handle either residential and/or commercial projects, with an annual revenue between $1-20 million, who are looking to optimize and automate their solar field operation processes.
- Do you exclusively work on residential solar projects, commercial projects, or both?
- Do you have a minimum project size? This can be in terms of dollars or KWs
- What types of projects will you take on? O&M, Installation, Design...or all of the above?
- What does your market geography look like? Will you be limited to your County, your state, or a much larger Region (e.g. the Southwest)?
Differentiate Your Brand and Your Service
Now that we know who your ideal customers are, the next challenge is ensuring they know who you are and what services you offer. Sounds easy enough? Think again.
In a recent blog, we highlighted just how fierce the competition is for solar services. So how do you stand out from the solar crowd? Here are the fundamentals to get you started:
- Ensure your messaging is targeted for your target market. Residential and Commercial customers have different pain points and your messaging needs to match their specific concerns.
- “Going solar” is still a relatively growing trend so make sure you have plenty of customer testimonials on your website and in your sales collateral which will ease the anxiety for customers and give your company credibility.
- Everyone offers the same products and services in solar, so create your own customized packages and services that no one else can match. These may include different financing options or 24/7 service.
As we had reported in a previous article, the failure rate of solar contracts is around 90%. Translation: 9 of your 10 existing proposals will not close! Crazy huh?
We help solar companies boost their batting average when it comes to closing solar contracts by doing more accurate and consistent pre-sales site visits. However, you also want to feed the top of your sales pipeline with as many warm prospects as possible. Here are a few way to grow your solar sales pipeline:
Two things we have learned from all our customers in the solar space is that a) The solar industry is still relatively new and disruptive in many people’s minds, and b) People buy from vendors they trust! So ease up on the hard sell and focus more on educating your potential customers.
- Ask for at least 3 referrals from every customer. Try offering them extended warranty or a discount in return.
- Form strategic partnerships and referrals with companies in the same industry. These can include architect firms, building engineers, developers, or interior designers.
- Become a thought leader in the solar/renewable industry in your market. This can mean anything from contributing to local newspapers to holding seminars at the local hardware store, or writing blogs (like this one) and sharing it with your network.
Scoop® Solar is a unique solution that incorporates mobile and cloud technology to create an intuitive field-to-office experience for your increasingly decentralized, liquid workforce. By connecting your data and existing software with easy-to-build, easy-to-use WorkApps™, your team can access, input and sync data from a mobile phone or desktop, wherever they are
We are a team of engineers and business professionals committed to a future of renewable energy. We are helping make this dream a reality by empowering solar companies to automate field processes, centralize data collection and speed up reporting, achieving the efficiency they need to scale up solar energy around the world.